Thursday, July 23, 2009

Farewell Dario

Today was Dario's funeral. It was a lovely service; a fitting send off to a great friend and an inspiration to all of us. It was moving to see the huge turnout, including many who had travelled a long distance to be there. Among the people I spoke to were Jez Bragg, Mike Mason, Dave Waterman and Ian and Rachel McCuig, all of whom had travelled up from England to pay tribute to a man who clearly had such an impact on so many people's lives.

One of the WHW family, Jody Young, brought his bagpipes and played one of my favourite tunes, Highland Cathedral, as we left the service. I found it incredibly moving. I've put a link to a YouTube version of the tune below.

As I type this post I am sitting here drinking a Rosebank malt whisky and thinking of Dario. Rosebank Distillery is now closed, but it was located in Falkirk, a few hundred yards from where Dario's funeral was held earlier today and close to where Dario was brought up. Given Dario's love of malt whisky, I can think of nothing more appropriate.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VDC7d4Mts

4 comments:

Davie said...

Ian,
Nice to see so many people turning out for Dario. It would be nice to see them again under happier circumstances maybe a tribute dinner in aid of his favourite charity?
Re Highland Cathedral: I've just made the WHWR screensaver active on my laptop again. I had it loaded, but I don't see it on the website any more. Could be worth putting a wee tribute to Dario on it and re-posting it online to download.

Subversive Runner said...

Nice post, Ian. What an impressive turn out for such a remarkable man. It felt very much that 'The Family' were together, united to celebrate Dario's life. It was good to join with Dario's blood family and in particular, Gilian, who is such a lovely person.

Debs M-C said...

Nice words, Ian. Oh and a bloody good excuse for a large measure :-) The last time I had a whisky, Dario gave me it at the leisure centre. I don't even like whisky, but needs must. The next time I have one will be in the same situation, except I will have to raise the glass to Dario instead.

Sorry you couldn't make it yesterday. We had a crackin' day.

See you soon.

Brian Mc said...

Nice words Ian. And thanks for the youtube link.