Sunday, March 11, 2007

Inverness Half Marathon

Yes!!!!!

I finished in 1 hour 24 minutes and 45 seconds - my best half marathon time since Inverness in March 2005, when I was a mere 10 seconds faster (and I was under 40 then). I was in 68th place out of 1,150. Earlier this evening I was checking my 2007 targets which I set last December, and to my great delight found this:

4. Half marathon: pb - 1.17 (1996); last year's best - 1.27; 2007 target - 1.26 or better. Not much to say about this one - 2006 wasn't the best year for my half marathon times, so it would be nice to get back to something a bit more respectable. My best chance is probably at Inverness in March, as the WHW training tends to take over after that.

So I've achieved one of my targets for the year. It was hard work, particularly the last couple of miles which were into a strong wind, but I managed to hang on. I was very pleased to finish just in front of Julia Henderson from Helensurgh, who I don't think I've ever beaten before. I passed her at 5 miles, she passed me at 11 and a half, then I passed her again at 12 and a half and managed to hang on. Not that I'm competitive or anything. I was also delighted to beat my friend Kim, who ran a PB of 1.26.23. I suspect my days of finishing in front of Kim are numbered, so I'm going to enjoy it when I can.

I'm away to have a glass of wine.

No comments: