Just a very quick post to document my targets for 2008. I'll need to be quick or the bells will ring before I get there...
1. West Highland Way race - to set a new PB, which means beating my 2007 time of 21 hours 11 minutes.
2. Marathon - to beat 3 hours 10 minutes. Last year's 2.59 was great, but it was probably a bit of a "one-off" (he says hoping that it wasn't a 'one-off'). I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself by setting a sub 3 hour target, so anything under 3.10 would be a good result.
3. Half marathon - to beat 1 hour 26 minutes. That will be tough, but should give me a focus in the early part of the year leading up to Inverness.
4. 10k - to beat 38 minutes. I didn't achieve this one in 2007, so it needs to be carried forward to 2008.
5. National XC - to finish in the top half - same reason as 4 above.
6. To run 2,000 miles. I accept that this target doesn't mean very much, but it helps me get my running shoes on when it's a cold and dark November evening. For that reason, it stays as a target.
10 other running related things I'd like to do in 2008 but which aren't formal targets:
1. To beat John K in every race we do.
2. To beat Kim T in every race we do.
3. To finish in the top 20 in the WHW race - haven't been outside it so far, but it's getting harder and harder as the field gets bigger.
4. To win the Strathearn Harriers club championship.
5. To run at least 5 marathons and ultras.
6. To run at least 25 races in total.
7. To run at least 5 'new' races, i.e. races I haven't done before.
8. To persuade enough Strathearn Harriers to enter a team for the Round Arran Relay in July (come on guys, great event, we could make a weekend of it - only needs me plus another 5 - can even be a mixed team).
9. To learn how to navigate properly, so I can do some of the fantastic hill races that are on the fixture list.
10. To try a few new malt whiskies (possibly not running related, but I was struggling for a 10th...)