Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Personal Worst

Today was my 75th 10k road race, and up until today I had the proud record of never having recorded a time over the 40 minute mark. The City of Stirling 10k is organised by my club (Central AC) and is generally viewed as a fast, runner friendly type of course. And as anyone reading my blog from last night will appreciate, I was hoping for a season's best time.

It didn't happen. I finished in 40 minutes and 37 seconds, not only a season's worst but an all time worst (known in running circles as a PW - a personal worst, which is the opposite of a PB - a personal best).

I'm not going to make any excuses. How can I when Hayley Haining ran 32.36, a world class time for a woman? I can hardly say it wasn't a good course, or that the conditions were against me. It was an ideal course and the weather was perfect for running. I am getting a bit bored looking for reasons for my crap perfomances (as I'm sure are the readers of this blog) so I'm not going to go down that route again.

So what's next? It's the Loch Ness Marathon in 2 weeks. Surprisingly I'm looking forward to it. Today just confirmed that my strategy will be to go out nice and easy, not care about the time, and see how I get on. After all it's supposed to be fun, isn't it?

No comments: