Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fun in the mud

I love cross country. Yesterday afternoon I headed along to Broxburn for the East District League cross country. It was rainy, very muddy and there was a bitterly cold wind - just about perfect cross country conditions. This was the first time I had appeared in my new Strathearn Harriers vest, although due to various late call offs I was the only person there from the club. Message to Strathearn Harriers - come on guys, let's try and get a few more people out to these races - you'll enjoy the experience, at least once it's finished! Just to add to the authenticity of the cross country experience, the post race showers in the school were absolutely freezing. As some of the old traditional harriers would say - 'Cold showers? You don't know you're born - in my day we had to get washed in a burn after a race, then walk home 20 miles, normally in our bare feet...'

I was quite pleased with my run, finishing in 38.34 for the 9.3km course. The course was 3 laps, and my time for each lap was almost the same, which I guess is a sign that I'm running fairly well at the moment. I haven't been able to find the results so far so have no idea where that placed me in the field, but I'm hoping that I might have made the top half.

Nest Sunday a group of us are meeting at 8.30am at Balmaha car park for a run on the WHW. The plan is to go up to Inversnaid and back, which would be a total of about 29 miles. If anyone is reading this and wants to come along please do so - the more the merrier.