Wednesday, June 14, 2006

At last! I feel good again!

I'm a runner. I run marathons and ultra races, which are longer than marathons. So far I've run 41 marathons and 13 ultras. Each year I run the West Highland Way race, which is 95 miles from Milngavie (just north of Glasgow in central Scotland) to Fort William in the Scottish highlands, all off-road. I've done it 5 times so far. This year's race is coming up soon, on 24th June.

Had an easy lunchtime run today and, after what felt like months of feeling tired, sluggish and generally crap, actually enjoyed it! Maybe this tapering nonsense is beginning to work. Only 11 days to go till The Big One. Some of the others are beginning to panic. The WHW website is full of comments about poos, nappies and stiff legs. It's good to see it isn't just me - we're all suffering together, particularly our families and workmates who have to put up with some serious mood swings as we head towards The Day. I sympathise with Paula Radcliffe. She must have felt 10 times worse before Athens, and on top of that she had the press all over her. Then when she had one of the few poor runs of her career, she was slaughtered. Poor girl. I'd like to see some of the more critical journalists run a marathon in 2 hours 15 minutes.

No comments: